TOP 10 THINGS TO KNOW AS A PHOTOGRAPHER (PART 1)

Hi, I am Thompson! I’m a photographer. I’m absolute passionate with photography and business  and enjoy sharing it with great folks like yourself. When I am not writing or shooting, you can find me eating, hanging out and talking with great people.


One of  the  favorite things about me being a photographer it has never been a shortage of things to learn about and improve upon. As I said earlier on facebook, it can also be pretty awesome. 
After all, with so many stuff to learn, where do you really get started?

While I enjoy this Top Ten things I don’t like that so much gets left undone. So disclaimer: this list is only my opinion. (I presume some Top Ten lists are just view). In any case, if you are learning about other subject right now that you may think other photographers would probably find important then leave your suggestion down the comments box!

1. Photography
Let me start here, You will always be learning much about photography! To put it in another way, you should never thought of stopping to  learn about photography. Try to always be practicing new methods, experimenting with new ideas, perfecting the fundamentals, and taking risks. 

2. Learning
Let me say Learning is about learning? Huh? I think every photographer despite what kind are you  should be learning much about the best and most efficient ways for them to learn. For this they will be able to get the most of their time spent on learning.
As for me, I learn best by watching videos,  reading, and taking plentiful notes. It might seem similar to the way some people learn, but I’m very specific about things. I decide to take notes on my computer because it syncs with my phone and the internet – in that case I can always update notes when think of new ideas. 

As for reading, I usually take out time to browse on a subject I want to learn, to be honest most publication on the internet are not quite good. Occasionally I’ll read entire thing that I think it will be of great value to me, but not often.

Also, audio book  and video tutorial are a great way to get a lot of content as quickly.
The point I am making is that  photographers should be figuring out the best way to digest and retain new techniques and information.

3. Graphic Design
The internet is where allot of business is happening right now as you are reading this. As such, so much communication takes place over the internet which only make huge sense that those businesses and personality with the best online design and presentation will appear to be the most professional.
This is the reason I want you to learn more about graphic design as a photographer. Even if you don’t do much of graphic design yourself  then you can hire people like me to do you online brand design, you still need to understand whether or not the design looks good. But I will advice you to learn how to do some of your graphic and branding design, it’s going to pay off for you.

4. Video
When exactly was the last time you saw a video (motion picture) online? Either on Vimeo, or YouTube, or embedded as an advertisement? I believe its almost all time you open the internet.
I will love to let you know that, most new DSLRs have the capacity and the ability to shoot HDV (720p-1080p). There are a great handful of industry leaders who are working to promote this very accessible technology, but I have to be honest with you, I’m surprised by how dull some photographers are taking advantage of this.
As you may say, yes it takes work , yes it’s different, and yes it’s another thing else to practice and learn more about – but I can tell you it’s the future.
All I can say is that start learning more about video, and practicing shooting and if you are brave do the editing yourself in order to gain a unique competitive advantage. I have seen a large increase in demand of this just in my little corner of the labour market. 

5. Workflow
Time is money. This is more true for professional photographers.
From my own perspective there is a whole problem I’m going to call ‘unnecessary outsourcing’. In order to save time some photographers are hiring others to sort and process images, design, print, albums, and even handle some customer services.

The problem about this is that  Some Photographers aren’t learning on how to do these things by themselves. this means they aren’t developing the skills necessary to their craft! This kind of photographers may be successful in short-term, but in long term they will lose business to other professional photographers who can really do their craft better and cheaper because they don’t need to hire anyone.
To  relate this to workflow? Time is money. Don’t instantly jump to subcontracting if you don’t have enough time.

Now, I am not saying that outsourcing is a bad idea. It’s even better you are not a jack or all trade, master of non. I just think photographers should be more proficient at the responsibilities that are essential to their craft, like sorting, editing, communicating with clients, before giving it to someone else. By all means, subcontract your legal and accounting!

6. Social Media
Wow! Wow! Wow! this is the part I’m so much interested in because I have seen and experience so much effect it has brought to me as a person and to my business.
Social media has come to stay,  like it or not,. If you aren’t using Instagram, Twitter , Facebook or Whatsapp to promote your business friend,  you’re going to be left behind. While i use Facebook personally, and also have a Facebook page for my photography business, I’ve barely struggle in terms of marketing skills.  I can’t even imagine how many time and how much business I’ve lost because I haven’t been diligent in  using social media presence.
Some photographers care about Google Page ranking, friend, I think  you should forget about it now.

I said this before that photography is a referral business.  

Social media is a wonderful tools like Facebook which is automatic referral machines

A lot of  people search out their friends’ photos and contact, they want pictures like that for themselves, and can easily see the contact of  who took them. They don’t need to border their friends who their photographer was, it’s super brilliant.

Find new methods of using social media to make your business unique, and also help your business stand out.

All though this list isn’t ended, if you feel to leaving a contribute to the Top Ten in this post why not.

No comments:

Post a Comment